Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips


Don’t Let Your Pet Feast on Thanksgiving

– It’s tempting to want to treat your pet on Thanksgiving, however human food can make your pet sick. Fatty or spicy food, as well as bones, should not be fed to your furry family members. Turkey can cause pancreatitis which is a very serious disease in dogs. Bones can cause gastrointestinal obstructions which can be life threatening.
-Keep chocolate and candy out of your pet’s reach. All chocolate is toxic but baking chocolate and dark chocolate are more toxic to pets. Any candy or gum containing the artificial sweetener xylitol is very dangerous to pets.


Keep your Pets in Mind when Hosting Thanksgiving Dinner

-All pets should have access to a comfortable, quiet place inside if they want to retreat. Make sure your pet has a room or crate somewhere away from the commotion, where your guests won’t follow, that they can go to get away.
-Make sure your pet’s cannot escape and run away. Fearful pets may run when there is a crowd. Make sure your pet has identification on and a current microchip just in case they do get out.
-Keep the trash out of your pet’s reach. There is nothing they love more than food scraps and this can make them very sick.


Have a Happy Thanksgiving from everyone at Spring Branch Veterinary Hospital