Easter Pet Safety Tips

Easter is joyous time for family gathering and celebration.  All of the Easter goodies can pose a risk to your pet’s health.  More pet poisonings are reported during Easter than other times of the year.  With Easter right around the corner we recommend that you take these pet safety tips to help keep your pets happy and healthy this Holiday:

Keep Lilies Away From Cats

Lilies are extremely toxic to cats!  All parts including the pollen are toxic and can cause severe kidney damage.  Cats will sometimes chew on lilies, and even a very small exposure can be deadly.  Symptoms of exposure include vomiting and lethargy.  We recommend not having lilies in the house anywhere that your cat can reach them.  If you think your cat may have been exposed veterinary treatment is needed immediately.

Avoid Access to Chocolate and Other Candy

Easter candy in baskets or hidden around the house or yard is very tempting for pets to eat.  Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats.  Chocolate can cause symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, elevated heart rate, and other neurologic problems.  Some candy or gum products may contain an artificial sweetener called Xylitol.  Xylitol is toxic to pets and may cause low blood sugar, seizures, and liver damage.  We recommend keeping Easter baskets and Easter eggs containing candy out of the reach of pets.  If you believe that your pet may have gotten into chocolate or candy veterinary treatment is needed immediately.

Keep the Easter Grass Used in Easter Baskets Away From the Reach of Pets

Easter grass is tempting to dogs and cats to eat.  It has been known to cause gastrointestinal obstructions which can be life threatening and require surgery.  We recommend keeping Easter baskets out of the reach of pets.

Don’t Treat Your Pet to Table Scraps

Ham and other Easter table scraps containing fat and spices can cause upset stomach problems or pancreatitis in pets.  Pancreatitis is a serious condition involving inflammation of the pancreas and abdominal pain.  Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and pain in the abdomen.  We recommend not feeding pets table scraps.  If your pet becomes ill after eating table scraps veterinary treatment is needed.

Have a happy and safe Easter weekend from everyone at Spring Branch Veterinary Hospital