Sago Palm: The Deadly Plant In Your Yard!

 Sago Palms

Sago palms are very common ornamental yard plants in Texas and are extremely deadly to pets! All parts of sago palms are considered poisonous, with the seeds (nuts) being the most toxic part of the plant. Sago palms contain cycasin, which is the primary active toxic agent resulting in severe liver failure in dogs or other animals who ingest it. Symptoms can arise anywhere between a few minutes after ingestion up to a few days after ingestion.

Symptoms of sago palm poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Poor appetite
  • Abdominal pain
  • Jaundice
  • Black stools or blood in stool
  • Seizures or tremors
  • Sudden death

Treatment:

Don’t wait for symptoms to arise! If you are worried that your pet may have ingested any part of a sago palm call us immediately or the emergency pet center if after hours! The Pet Poison Helpline is also available for pet owners however your pet will need to be seen by a veterinarian ASAP. Sago palms are often deadly to pets even when treated however the sooner treatment is started the better. Treatment involves hospitalization, decontamination, and supportive care. Unfortunately even with appropriate treatment the survival rate is only 50%!

Prevention is Key!

We recommend not having any sago palms anywhere near your pets! If they are in your yard you should remove them! Even if they have been there for years and never caused a problem- remember it only takes one seed to kill your pet!

Alternative Names for Sago Palms:

Cycads, Cycadaceae, sago, Zamias, Macrozamia, Cycas cirinalis, Japanese cycad, Cycad revolute, Coontie plant, Zamia pumila, Cardbord palm, Zamia furfuracea.

Please call us if you have any questions 830-438-7800

Megan Hughes, DVM